Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

$200 ticket for speeding (over 5 MPH) on flooded streets

You Will Be Ticketed If Driving Faster Than 5-MPH on Flooded Streets in
New Orleans

 (August 27, 2012)- Superintendent Ronal Serpas says you will be ticketed if you choose to drive down a flooded street going faster than 5-Miles per Hour.
When motorists make this decision, they immediately put themselves and the street’s residents at risk. The car’s engine could flood, stalling the vehicle and trapping the driver. Or, if the car exceeds 5 miles an hour, the driver might lose control of the vehicle. There’s also a possibility that the waves the car creates will seep into other residents’ cars, homes or businesses, possibly causing costly damages.

Superintendent Serpas said, “Our officers will strictly be enforcing this ordinance. Drivers who disregard it are acting irresponsibly and recklessly, and putting themselves and others in a dangerous situation. I can’t stress enough that residents should stay home during storms like this. No one should be venturing out either on foot or in their cars unless an emergency situation makes it absolutely imperative that they do so.”
A citation for violating the ordinance will cost no less than $200 in fines plus court fees. The ordinance in its entirety is below:

17271 MCS 154-404, Operation on Flooded Streets

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle or boat on the streets, roads, highways or bridges which are flooded or inundated within this city either (i) in excess of a speed of five miles per hour or (ii) in such a manner as to cause water, waves or wakes to damage property alongside of or adjacent to such streets, roads, highways or bridges at any speed.

(b) No person shall in any way tamper with, move, damage or destroy any barricades, signs or signals placed upon any streets, roads, highways or bridges within the city by any department of the city government or any other governmental agency in connection with any such street, road, highway or bridge being flooded or inundated, nor shall any person disobey the instructions, signals, warnings or markings of any warning sign, signal, city employee, or barricade so placed on any such street, road, highway or bridge which is flooded or inundated, unless at the time having been expressly so directed by a police officer of the state or city.
(c) Any person may file an affidavit with the Traffic Court of New Orleans complaining of a violation of this section in accordance with City Code Section 154-142 and R.S. 13:2512.

* * * *
Superintendent Serpas would also like to reiterate that residents are allowed to park their vehicles on neutral grounds legally until the City officially announces that it is no longer legal.

The NOPD also asks the public to report malfunctioning traffic lights and high, rising waters by calling: (504)821-2222.
And, as always, in case of an emergency, please call 9-1-1.

No comments: