We received the information below from Friends of Armstrong Park via North Rampart Main Street Initiative and are passing it along.
With no public input, the Nagin administration is trying to fast track Phase 3 plans for Armstrong Park, which include a new stone entrance plaza and statues costing a million dollars (which the mayor claims to have already raised from private sources). Based on the information we’ve learned, we have taken the following positions.
Armstrong Park Phase 3:
1) We oppose spending a million dollars on new park statues, whether these are funded by public or private money;
2) We oppose spending City funds to destroy parts of the park just restored in Phase 1 in order to create the setting for these statues;
3) We call on the Nagin administration to take no action to implement Phase 3 until the public has had a chance to weigh in through public hearings;
4) We call on Mayor Nagin to give an accounting of the million dollars he has raised for these statues; and
5) We request the City Council review the plans and funding for Phase 3. Phases 1 and 2 were storm rehab work not requiring Council approval. Much of Phase 3 is new construction making major changes to the park and should be reviewed by the Council.
We think the public will agree with our positions. Please help circulate this information.
Friends of Armstrong Park
812 N. Rampart St.
New Orleans, LA 70116