Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2009

State Representative Walker Hines District 95 Survey Results

Dear Constituents,

In the interest of transparency, I want to provide you with the first release of the comprehensive survey results from District 95. Over 12,000 surveys were mailed out in April. Although I continue to receive a few surveys in the mail each day, I feel comfortable releasing the data we have compiled thus far. With a sample size of almost 500 households, the percentages should remain relatively consistent.

As most of you know, I am currently representing our District in Baton Rouge during the 2009 Legislative Fiscal Session. I greatly appreciate the calls, e-mails, and other forms of communication during session. As you might imagine, I receive over 200e-mails and 50 calls a day. Although I cannot personally respond to all forms of communication, I try my best to read and listen to each and every message.

Thank you for staying engaged in the legislative process. Upon adjournment at the end of June, I will provide you with a complete legislative overview via e-mail and postage mail. I will also provide you with more information regarding the survey, how and why I voted on the various issues addressed in the survey, and other important votes that I make during session. We have already taken up many hot-button issues that are sure to facilitate discussion.

Please understand that District 95 is extraordinarily diverse in racial, religious, age, political ideology, geographic, and socio-economic makeup. Most residents of District 95 are not aware of the size or geographic boundaries of the District. District 95 begins at the Audubon Zoo and extends to Mid-city, ending at Canal Street and Carrollton Ave. I do my very best to listen to all constituents regardless of your background or beliefs. If time permits, I may even call you to explain my vote on a specific controversial issue that you have called or e-mailed me about. Positive dialogue is a crucial way for us to better understand one another.

Due to the extraordinary diversity of our District, you may not always agree with me on every issue. However, it is my hope that you respect my tireless work to best represent our district in the State Legislature. My votes always reflect what I determine to be in the best interest of the District, City, and State.

Please remember if you would like to follow any of the daily activities in the State Legislature, you can visit: www.legis.state.la.us

My legislative office e-mail is Hinesw@legis.state.la.us and legislative phone number, 504-756-4675.

Thank you again for your support during this difficult legislative session. I look forward to attending numerous neighborhood meetings upon adjournment. I will also host a town hall forum.

If my aides or I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

District 95 Survey Results:

The 2009 Legislative Survey was sent to all households in District 95 that voted in the 2008 Presidential election. Individuals with the same last name only received one survey per address. Individuals with different last names at the same address received multiple surveys. The 2008 Presidential election was the largest voter turnout in election history. There were 12,930 surveys mailed out. The non-scientific sample below consists of approximately 486 surveys.

Survey questions:

1) Do you support allowing students with a concealed weapons permit to carry a handgun on college and university campuses?
Yes: 9% No: 81% Don’t Know: 10%

2) Are you in favor of increased health insurance coverage of the poor and uninsured?
Yes: 71% No: 20% Don’t Know: 9%

3) Do you support building a new, Academic Medical Center and Teaching Hospital in New Orleans?
Yes: 69% No: 19% Don’t Know: 12%

4) Do you support using Rainy Day Funds and Economic Development Slush Funds to supplement a projected budget shortfall?
Yes: 40% No: 37% Don’t Know: 23%

5) Do you favor term limits for School Board Members?
Yes: 81% No: 11% Don’t Know: 8%

6) Do you support reducing or eliminating the current state income tax?
Yes: 50% No: 38% Don’t Know: 12%

7) Do you support increasing the homestead exemption from the current $75,000 to $160,000?
Yes: 41% No: 46% Don’t Know: 13%

8) Should the Legislature override Governor Jindal and accept the $98 million in the Federal Stimulus Package tied to unemployment compensation?
Yes: 68% No: 24% Don’t Know: 8%

9) Should the Legislature override Governor Jindal and accept the Federal Stimulus Package monies dedicated to providing health care to those leaving welfare for work?
Yes: 72% No: 17% Don’t Know: 11%

10) Do you support raising the tax on a pack of cigarettes by $1?
Yes: 78% No: 17% Don’t Know: 5%

11) Do you support increased drug testing of welfare recipients?
Yes: 57% No: 35% Don’t Know: 8%

12) Do you support state-funded vouchers or scholarships to attend private school?
Yes: 40% No: 53% Don’t Know: 7%

13) Do you support a ban on driving while talking on a non-hands free cellphone?
Yes: 70% No: 24% Don’t Know: 6%

14) Do you support increased criminal penalties for DWI/DUI charges?
Yes: 65% No: 20% Don’t Know: 15%

The Honorable Walker Hines
State Representative - District 95 - New Orleans

Legislative E-mail: Hinesw@legis.state.la.us
Legislative Office Address: 5500 Prytania Street #626, New Orleans, LA 70115
Legislative Office Phone Number: 504-756-4675
Website: www.walkerhines.com

No comments: