Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thank you Monique! - ~100 of those trees planted in NorthWest Carrollton

From: Hike for Katreena
To: info@hikeforkatreena.com
Subject: New leadership
Date: Nov 30, 2010 9:13 PM
To Hike for Katreena supporter,

Five years ago I started Hike for Katreena as a way to give back to New Orleans after the destruction caused by the hurricane and the levee failures. New Orleans has been my home since birth and the home to my family for over seven generations. I love this city deeply, in a way that other native New Orleanians will readily understand.

I’ve always said the hurricane had a silver lining for me because it allowed me to do work that I am passionate about and it allowed me to work daily with others who have devoted their time to rebuilding New Orleans. To work alongside so many of you who have given so selflessly and sacrificed so much for the betterment of this city has been a humbling experience and a true honor.

When I started Hike for Katreena I was unsure how I was going to accomplish my goal of planting 2,175 trees; because of the love and support that I have received from so many, Hike for Katreena is now close to planting its 8000th tree in New Orleans. Eight thousand seems like a lot of trees, but when you realize we lost over 100,000 it’s clear we still have a lot of work to do.

After fostering the growth of this organization for the last five years I feel confident in turning over the reins to Connie Uddo, a colleague in the field of rebuilding New Orleans and someone who feels as passionately about Hike for Katreena’s mission as I do. I have had the pleasure of working closely with Connie through her work as Director of St. Paul’s Homecoming Center and know she will provide excellent leadership as the organization continues to grow and serve even more people and neighborhoods. Please help and support Connie as much as you have supported me. You can contact her at connie@hikeforkatreena.com.

I plan to spend the next few months working closely with Connie to ensure a smooth transition. In April of 2011, I will leave to hike the Appalachian Trail for the second time. This time rather than carrying with me the hopes and fears that go along with starting a non-profit, my hike will be sustained by the knowledge that Hike for Katreena is a vital, healthy organization in a vital, strong city. The awareness of what Hike for Katreena has done and what it will continue to do sustains and inspires me as I move on to seek out my next challenge.

All of you in some way have given me an opportunity to realize my dreams and for that I am eternally grateful. Thank you for all you have done.

Best wishes to all,
Monique PiliƩ
______________________
Founding Director
Hike for KaTREEna
www.hikeforkatreena.com
info@hikeforkatreena.com

No comments: